WHY I GOT MARRIED




“Why are you getting MARRIED?” the cashier asked grumpily. 

I was asked this repeatedly during my engagement season. 

Cody too.

It stung and sometimes made me wonder, “Geez, is marriage really that bad?”

I held this gloomy mindset as a kid too, thinking I needed to travel and get everything I wanted done before being “tied down”. 

(Makes me cringe now.)

What about you? 

Reviewing marriage statistics can evoke all types of bleak commentary. I don’t know whether you are single, dating, or married, but I know these numbers and remarks can ignite panic. 

If that’s you, fearful and unsure about marriage, here are a few reasons why I decided to get hitched.

First of all, I didn’t marry Cody because I thought he was “the one”. No one is. And for me to think that would put an unhealthy amount of pressure on him to be my ultimate source of happiness.

Instead, he’s the one I chose to love.

I know it’s not as romantic as a Hollywood love story, but I like it better. It’s real, grittier, and grace-filled. It’s the type of love story that allows freedom to fail and room to grow. 

I see the kind of man God is forming Cody into and it lights me up inside.

I love and respect the hell out of my husband and knew while dating that I wanted to come alongside him as a partner and ally in life. Our combined talents and skill-sets make us a great team.

I want to embrace the friction of our differences, knowing like sandpaper, we’ll both be smoothed out into better versions of ourselves. We’re better together!

I married him because he’s my best friend. He’s my safe person. The one I share everything with. Laugh with. Cry with. Debate with. Forgive with. Grow with. 

And let’s not forget the fact that I find him extremely attractive and enjoy kissing him.

Haha!  

That’s why I got married.

Take Care, 
Amanda 

Comments

Popular Posts