A PEACEFUL MIND GENERATES POWER



“A peaceful mind generates power.”

A fortune cookie told me this, but it’s something I recently put into practice.

2018 was HARD. Over the course of a year, my fiancé was hospitalized twice, his apartment caught on fire, my car got totaled, and my roommate decided to flee unexpectedly.

As life unraveled at the seams I lost my cool in front of the person I love most. 

It sucked! I hated this easily-provoked version of myself I was shaping into as I rushed from one disaster to the next.

I sought to be a person of peace. At home and at work. Heck, even in the grocery store check-out line!

Change needed to happen.

As the cliché flight attendant saying goes: I needed to put on my oxygen mask before assisting others.

This meant carving out time to support my body, mind, and soul first thing every morning in order to bring my best self forward.

For me this looks like drinking a large glass of water, yoga for 15 minutes, guided meditation, and reading my Bible devotional before starting the day.

Even if it means waking up earlier than I used to. Even when I’m on the road. 

When I kickoff the day like this, I’m in a far better headspace. Have a kinder heart to serve people. Less reactive. And can look at the bigger picture with clarity.

Last year, I subscribed to Headspace Meditation and it’s been one of the best investments I’ve made for my mental health.

One of my favorite questions is: Who are you doing this for today?

I like the idea that by setting aside time for myself I’m actually gifting others. I want to provide people with a peaceful presence—especially my fiancé—no matter what happens externally.

Because guess what?

Difficulties are STILL going to happen. 

That’s life.

But I’m working on being proactive rather than reactive.

When I establish a routine that results in a peaceful mind I find power to tackle the chaos with unrelenting joy.

How are you nurturing a peaceful mind to benefit others?

Take Care,
Amanda 

Comments

Popular Posts