The True Hero's Journey: Strength to Weakness



The hero’s journey. 

It’s the formative template for all great stories. 

Think Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter. 

To briefly summarize: it follows a character’s journey from weakness into strength.

Who doesn’t like that? 

All of us want to rise to the challenge and become the best at something, glorifying Olympians, artists, and billionaires alike. 

Seeking to be just like them.

Strong. Successful. Flawless.

As a teenager I craved both success and recognition, my worth solely determined on placings in competitions and how well I stood academically. 

Growing up, I delighted in my athletic and intellectual abilities, but as my health declined so did these other areas of my life.   

One of the most agonizing moments of my life was WAKING UP WEAK WHEN I USED TO BE STRONG. 

Back surgery was the most horrifying experiences of my life. I couldn’t comprehend how I was still alive while bearing such extreme pain.

Then came time to relearn how to walk.

With chattering teeth and two nurses to assist me, I struggled to get my feet. Entering the hallway with a provided walker I immediately felt ashamed. 

As someone who outran other competitors in track meets, this moment seemed pathetic. I felt like a loser.

Harsh, right? 

I was relearning how to walk again after spinal surgery.

I wasn’t a loser. I was an effing warrior! The bruises and scars on my body proof of the battle I waged.

One breath at a time, I would survive this moment.  

Literally grunting, “It’s gonna be ok,” under my breath as I hobbled forward sharpened my focus on the present moment.

There’s something admirable about showing up, gritting your teeth, and braving the difficult even when every cell in your body is shrieking at you to run and hide from the world. Even when you are less than perfect.

Maybe you’re feeling mentally, emotionally, and/or physically weak right now and that’s ok. 

I know your spirit is resilient. 

From my experience the true hero’s journey is not the transition from weakness into strength, but rather strength into weakness.

It’s gonna be ok. 

Take Care, 
Amanda

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts