Are You Scared? No Worries, Let This Be An Opportunity To Be Brave.



BRAVE, she called me.
 

A friend eyed me from across the room as I winced in pain, unable to concentrate on the movie we rented.

In a few weeks, I’d undergo the knife… again. This spinal surgery, however, would take longer and be far more riskier than past.

I didn’t feel brave. 

Instead, I felt scared s***less.

Each night, I woke up in a panicky pool of sweat from nightmares.

I shook my head, dismissing her comment. This wasn’t what brave looked like.

Weeks later, as I entered the operating room, a summer camp memory popped into my head.

4th of July, years ago, fireworks exploded off in the distance as we ate dinner outside.

Startled, two camp dogs began attacking one another.

The camp director leapt from her seat, commanding a counselor I admired name Chee to help her pull the snarling animals apart. 

With quick obedience Chee sprung into motion. Thankfully, no one got hurt.

Later, we gathered to debrief, but first, started with an ice breaker question: What’s something no one else knows about you? 

Chee admitted, “I was attacked by a dog when I was thirteen--that’s where this scar on my lip came from.” She pointed to the scar, something I never noticed before. “I had to get fourteen stitches. So, having to pull Tommy and Poncho apart was one of the scariest things I’ve ever had to do.”

Shocked, I couldn’t believe it. Chee didn’t appear terrified while stepping into action or maybe I only remembered it this way because in my mind she was already a fierce leader.

As a swarm of doctors prepped me for surgery I thought, I’m scared, but I’m here. That makes me brave.

Bravery comes in many forms… 

Asking for help when you’re struggling. 

Getting out of bed when depression weighs you down. 

Going on a first date after a breakup.

It’s showing up even while sweating bullets.

It isn’t dependent upon the strength of your body, but rather the resiliency of your soul.

Are you scared? No worries, let this be an opportunity to be brave. 

Take Care,
Amanda

Comments

Popular Posts