REMIND PEOPLE THAT YOU EXIST



Conversations are hands-down one of my favorite aspects about being a Flight Attendant.

I often ask seasoned FAs what their best advice for me is.

Most say to contribute to my 401K, which is great, but I prefer deeper conversation. (Classic introvert.)

“Remind people that you exist,” a senior FA once told me.

A chill ran down my back at her advice.

She explained, “As you know, schedules are all over the place with this job and if you don’t remind people that you exist then they’ll stop inviting you to stuff because they’ll assume that you’re always flying. Next thing you know you’re practically forgotten and you’ll find yourself feeling super lonely. So, you have to be proactive.”

“Wow,” I murmured, thankful for her brutal honesty. 

While rather haunting advice, it’s true—the life of a Flight Attendant is unconventional. Sure, it can be lonely, but only if you allow it to be.

This job holds a magnifying glass up to the areas in my life that need strengthened the most, especially in the relational department. 

We weren’t created to live alone. We need community. Relationships. People to see consistently who can share in the ups and downs with us and speak truth over our lives.

We need routine check-ins with our loved ones or else we’ll isolate ourselves, which is an unhealthy way to live. 

People with unique lifestyles, like me, have to commit to being both more creative and proactive in pursuing these relationships. 

For me, it’s sending postcards on trips to my fiancĂ©. Facetiming with him. 

It’s writing monthly letters to friends who inspire me, getting in the habit of texting loved ones a thoughtful message during the week, and it’s meeting up weekly with my Church Lady Happy Hour group every Thursday evening.

Even if you don’t have a job like mine I’m sure you’re busy in your own way too. At some point you’ve probably fallen into the trap of wake up, work, go home, sleep, repeat.

How are you proactively cultivating the relationships in your life? How are you being remembered?

Take Care, 
Amanda

Comments

Popular Posts