Gratitude Letters: How I Got Over My Fear of Being Too Nice




I stood at the mailbox, frozen. 

Earlier that day, I sat down to write a letter of gratitude to an old friend. Quick and to the point, I couldn’t wait to send it to her.

Soon after, however, fear and anxiety overwhelmed me.

Why, though?

It finally dawned on me that I was afraid of being too nice.

Yep.

Who says that?

The letter was to an old high school friend, Taylor, who I barely kept in contact with. 

Taylor’s Facebook challenged me to live life a little differently--for example, by volunteering more. Her efforts weren’t huge like tending to lepers in India or building wells in Uganda, but were instead small, local, easily doable.

She changed my outlook on the world as I realized I could make a difference in my own hometown and it felt like a crime not to let Taylor know how her example positively influenced my life. 

I could’ve messaged her online, but, instead, felt compelled to write her a letter.

I guess I felt fear at the mailbox because people didn’t normally do this. It felt too heartfelt and vulnerable for someone I barely spoke to.

After a minute or two, I realized that I didn’t want to be “normal” if it meant not acknowledging the good I see in others, especially if they deserved it.

A couple weeks later, Taylor messaged me online. Currently enduring a tough season of life, my small note meant the world to her. She had no idea her actions were positively influencing others.

This letter took me 5 minutes to write. Excited it made such a difference in her life, I decided to make the time to write more cards throughout the years, usually during my quiet hours in the morning. 

And, I think people come to my mind for a reason.

Gratitude letters increase my likelihood of seeking out the good in others and make me more thankful for this beautiful life I get to live. Cultivating gratitude is a great skill to practice. Life is too short not to do it. 

Have you written one?

Take Care,
Amanda

Comments

Popular Posts