Why I Applied to be a Flight Attendant and How I Scored an Interview

Hey friends,


Have you ever made a decision that completely changed the trajectory of your life?

Or are you at a crossroads now, wondering whether or not to take a risk?


I get it.


I went from studying neuroscience to becoming a Flight Attendant.



Gotta love a girl with brains!


I know, drastic change! And, boy oh boy, was it terrifying to leap into the unknown. But let me tell you something... it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.


In May of 2016 I felt directionless. There were so many things I wanted in life, but just didn't know how to get.


  • A career.
  • An apartment.
  • And yes... a boyfriend.

Grad School wasn't for me (read more about that here). At the time I was working at Disneyland, which was a blast, but not something I saw myself doing long term. 

Honestly, I dreamt of writing professionally. 


But I needed to find a career with good pay and benefits, something that would support my passions, so that I could one day make that dream a reality.


Knowing I was in a rut, my mom suggested that I apply for Alaska Airlines, urging me to hurry since the application window wouldn’t be open for long.

"No thanks," I said.

I came from an aviation family and, honestly, it's never something I imagined myself doing.


  • Hated turbulence.
  • Didn't want to become a waitress in the sky.
  • Felt like a humiliating step down from where I was headed.
Later, during a dull moment at work my coworker asked me, "Is it your choice to be single or, like, why aren't you dating?"

This stung.


It was questions like this that made me question my self worth?


People my age were starting careers, getting married, having kids, and here I was 24-years-old and hadn't even held hands with a guy before, let alone kissed one. I sobbed to my mom over the phone in employee parking lot.



Do these pants make me look Goofy? (Get it?!)

Her response: "You'll find someone love. Don't worry. Now, go apply for Alaska! Just give it a shot."


So I did.


In the middle of the night, right before the deadline, I sent in my application, promising to keep my chin up. To trust my path and quit comparing myself to everyone else.


My life was far from normal. And know what? I loved it. God had already written a powerful story with my life (one with adventure, trials, and triumphs) and I needed to trust Him with the rest of my life.


A week later I submitted a video interview.

After each question (which 2 Flight Attendants prerecorded) I had 30 seconds to come up with my answer and 2 minutes to record it. Skype interviews are awkward in general, but this was worse. If I flubbed on the delivery I could not re-record my answer.


I took a huge risk by neighing like a horse for one of my answers.


Yep.


I neighed like a horse in my professional interview.


You bet that's me! #campcounselorlife

After discussing how I prevented children from throwing hangry tantrums at Disneyland by neighing like a horse, it occurred to me that in order to stand out I needed to show the recruiters rather than just tell them.

Hmm, I thought, that could have gone either really good or really bad.



People were shocked by my actions, telling me I wouldn't get a callback.


Two months passed.


And guess what?


I got another interview. In San Francisco!

Trust your path. Be you. Take the leap.



Take Care,
Amanda

Comments

Popular Posts